Autocase is hiring a senior economist in our Toronto office.
Our company’s primary goal is to create a standardized suite of business case analysis software to promote the development of more sustainable and resilient communities. Our analytics are used by infrastructure and buildings owners, as well as the architecture, engineering, consulting (AEC) market to better understand the outcomes of major projects and prioritize amongst competing alternatives. We operate in combination as an economic consulting firm and developer of an economic software suite called Autocase. Our team of consulting economists, who deliver the technical economic, financial, and risk analysis modeling on infrastructure and real estate projects, are widely regarded in the industry and an integral aspect of our business model.
Our Autocase software automates business case analysis for both green infrastructure and building projects, with long term development pipeline to expand to other ‘real assets’ infrastructure sectors where we also provide economic and financial consulting services in areas such as transportation, coastal resilience, airport capital planning, energy/alt energy, wastewater, etc. Our cloud-based solution uses standardized local data, best practice economic methodologies, and design information to quantify the Financial, Social, and Environmental value of projects. Benefits of our analytics include reduced stakeholder pushback, quicker project approval, and the development of more sustainable and resilient major capital projects.
We are looking for a Senior Economist passionate about ecological economics with experience in cost-benefit analysis (valuing lifecycle financial, as well as social, and environmental impacts – or the ‘triple bottom line’). You must have several years of experience providing economic analysis and cost-benefit analysis in a consulting capacity directly on infrastructure and/or buildings projects – either at an infrastructure owner, an AEC firm, or as part of an infrastructure economics consulting firm.
This is an opportunity to make a substantive difference in our company and play a key role within our team by delivering complex economic consulting projects, supporting research for our market-leading software, mentoring junior economists, and developing a pipeline of new consulting projects through positioning as a go-to expert in the market.
As a Senior Economist, you would be required to perform the following duties and undertake the following responsibilities:
- Work on consulting projects in all aspects of creating Excel or software models, writing reports, doing research and interacting with clients;
- Develop, document, update, and maintain a database of environmental and social costs, benefits, externalities, risks and methodologies associated with infrastructure and buildings related to our software products;
- Support our current and prospective software clients in an ‘expert advisor’ role;
- Familiarize yourself with, and become an expert in using the company’s product line;
- Preparation of project reporting and presentation decks;
- Manage complex projects with multiple stakeholders and liaison with technical experts (engineers, architects, planners, academics, and software engineers);
- Business development to build a pipeline of infrastructure and real estate consulting projects; and,
- Other duties as may arise from time to time and as may be assigned to the employee.
Experience with Excel and VBA are required, experience with quantitative modelling, risk analysis, programming (such as Python or R) would also be an asset. The Senior Economist will have the opportunity to supervise and mentor other staff, interns, manage projects, and follow directions and conduct work autonomously from consulting partners. You should have at least a Master’s degree in Economics or Finance.
Job Type: Full-time
- economic or financial analysis: 5 years
- cost-benefit analysis: 5 years
- Toronto, ON
Please contact Eric Bill, firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in applying for this position.